“De Filippis” Palace

The building has probably incorporated in its structure the Basilian monastery of Sain Angel, located “near the walls of Tiriolo”, which is mentioned in a report by Atanasio Calcheopulo, who visited it in 1458 and found there a Latin presbyter, some Mass books, the property of a vineyard in the area called Licari and of a house. Also Marcello Terracina visited it in 1551, and found it abandoned, without any “abbatem”, but he found in the church some walls painted with images of Saints.
The construction of Palazzo De Filippis may date back between the end of 17 th century and early 18 th century. The family of small landowners rose further with Vito De Filippis, who became trustee of the Cigala family.
A part of the arched loggia overlooking the garden of the ancient convent and some rooms used as storehouses with well-water tanks are still visible. The façade, where we find the memorial stone to Vincenzo De Filippis – mathematician, philosopher, intellectual, minister and martyr of the Parthenopean Republic in 1799 – has a Neo- classical architectonic decoration, result of a restoration of 1909.
On the sides of the entrance portal there are two mill components made of volcanic stone of the Brettian period, used as bollards.